2023-2024 Academic Catalog

Master's and Doctoral Degree Requirements

The College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business Administration, Education and Health Sciences, Engineering and Law offer programs variously distributed in time, leading to the master's and doctoral degrees. Specific requirements and sequences leading to these degrees are described in sections of this Catalog for the respective College or School, as are the specific curricula, courses and requirements of the divisions and departments offering them.

Residence Requirement

Residence requirements for graduate degree programs may be set by the divisions and departments offering them. Consult the program for details. 

Transfer Credits

Graduate courses that have not been used to fulfill requirements for another completed degree may be transferred from other accredited institutions to the University of Dayton on recommendation of the student's department chair or graduate program director, and with approval of the student's academic dean and the Graduate School. Only those hours in which the student has achieved a B grade or better will be considered for transfer; no credit will be given for hours graded B- or less. The quality points are not transferred. Usually, no transfer credit will be allowed for courses taken more than five years previous to matriculation in the student's graduate program at the University of Dayton. Thesis and dissertation credits are not eligible for transfer.

Except at the doctoral level, a maximum of six semester hours of graduate work may be transferred into a graduate degree program. At the doctoral level, the maximum number of hours eligible for transfer may be extended to one-fourth of the total hours required for the degree, provided that the coursework in the area of specialization is subject to examination prior to admission to candidacy.

For the purpose of computing equivalent transfer credit on either a course-by-course or total hours basis, the number of quarter hours completed at another institution should be multiplied by two-thirds.

Exceptions to this policy, which include articulation agreements made with other universities, may be made with the approval of the Associate Provost for Graduate Academic Affairs upon the recommendation of the student's department chair or graduate program director.

Advanced Undergraduate Courses

Some programs permit certain 400-level undergraduate courses to be applied to graduate program credit requirements. When such courses are permitted for graduate-level credit, the work done shall be of the grade of B or higher for that credit to be accepted toward a degree. The student must pay the graduate tuition rates when registering in these courses for graduate credit.

Elective Courses

Most graduate programs allow and encourage the student to select one or two courses from other related disciplines. Consult the advisor or program director for details.

Foreign Language Requirement

At the discretion of the department offering a particular program, a reading knowledge of a foreign language may be required for the master's degree. Graduate students can take language courses on a class or tutorial basis by special arrangement through Global Languages and Cultures in the College of Arts and Sciences. No graduate credit is allowed for the fulfillment of language requirements.

Comprehensive Examination

A comprehensive examination is required in most programs. This examination may be oral or written, or both. Application for any comprehensive examination must be approved by the chair of the student's major department at least two weeks prior to the examination. For further details, consult the explanation under the appropriate individual program in this Catalog.

General Thesis and Dissertation Requirements

Students in a program requiring a thesis, dissertation or other major project required for their degree may begin work only with the approval of their department chair, program director or other authorized faculty member. Other restrictions imposed by the academic unit or department may also apply.

Each student whose plan of study requires a thesis or dissertation must prepare it in accordance with the formatting and submission guidelines here: http://libguides.udayton.edu/etd. The content of the final work must be approved by the student's advisory committee, the composition of which is described elsewhere in this Catalog. The format of the thesis or dissertation will, however, be reviewed and must be approved by the Office for Graduate Academic Affairs.