2023-2024 Academic Catalog

International Graduate Student Admission

To learn more about the University of Dayton, and how to apply, please visit our website: https://www.udayton.edu/apply/international/graduate/index.php

An international student seeking admission to any graduate program must have completed a minimum of 16 years of education, including the equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. Course work taken at technical or non-university affiliated institutions may not be considered for academic credit. The education ministry in the applicant's home country must officially recognize each school as a degree-granting institution.

To apply, submit the application for your desired degree program:

When completing your address on your application, your permanent address must be your home country address, even if you are currently residing in the United States. Your mailing address should be the current location where you are residing. Do not list the United States address of a friend or relative. Once your application is complete, the admission evaluation and review process takes approximately four to six weeks for most programs. However, the process may take longer in certain programs, such as physical therapy.

Application requirements and entry terms vary by program. To find specific information on application requirements please review the details of your chosen program.
Most programs will require:

  • Application (Submit either the graduate application or doctoral application, based on the degree program you plan to pursue). There is no application fee required.
  • A graduate entrance examination
  • Letters of recommendation
  • A personal statement / writing sample
  • Transcripts from previously attended institutions (see more information below)
  • Proof of English Proficiency (see more information below)
  • Evidence of financial support to obtain your study (F-1) visa (see more information below)


An official academic record may be issued directly by each attended institution. We will also accept admission documents through email. Please email your documents as .pdf attachments in a single email message to goglobalgraduate@udayton.eduThe record must include dates of attendance, all subjects studied, and grades earned or marks achieved on examinations. These credentials must be in the original language (as issued) and accompanied by a certified English translation if the documents are not in English. Please review the specific academic documents required from selected countries. Documents must be sent directly from the institution to the address below:

Office of Recruitment and Admission
University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-2713 

English Proficiency Options

If your native language is not English, you are required to submit proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the following:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based (IB) test or 550 on the paper-based test is required for full admission.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum band score of 6.5 is required for full admission.
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE). A minimum score of 60 is required for full admission.
  • DuoLingo (DET). A minimum score of 110 is required for full admission. 
  • Some graduate programs may require a higher proficiency score for full admission. Please check with your department for their specific requirements.

Please use our institution code of 1834 to request your scores to be sent to the University of Dayton.

An applicant who is academically qualified but who has submitted a TOEFL or IELTS score below the minimums above may be conditionally admitted to the University, with the agreement that the student will attend our Intensive English Program (IEP). Students who are admitted to attend the IEP are required to take a placement exam for our Intensive English Program. The outcome of this exam will determine which IEP level is most appropriate for your current English language skills. You will be required to continue in the IEP until you complete the program or obtain a minimum institutional TOEFL score of 80 or an IELTS score of 6.5. Depending on the results of your placement exam, you may be permitted to attend academic classes as a part-time student while attending the program.

Students conditionally admitted into a graduate program and attending the IEP program can be fully admitted into a graduate program by passing all classes throughout their IEP program with the approval of IEP instructors. To be fully admitted into your academic program, student must also meet every requirement for the program in which they wish to enroll, including any additional requirements specified in their acceptance letter. To learn more, visit the IEP website.

F-1 Visa Requirements

The University of Dayton and the United States Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement require that students who meet the academic requirements for admission and plan to enter the U.S. on F-1 (student) or J-1 (scholar/exchange visitor) visas provide proof of financial support before immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019) can be issued. Proof of ability to cover the first year's educational costs, living and other miscellaneous expenses must be made available to the University.

Financial documents should be submitted during the application process along with all other supporting documentation. Applications submitted without supporting financial documents will be considered incomplete and may not be processed in a timely manner. We do not accept emailed, scanned or other photocopies of these documents.

Documents should include:

  • An original bank statement issued within the past six months that shows the account number and balance.
  • Statement of sponsorship, if not self-funded, indicating the extent and duration of support.

The following documents are helpful in processing the applicant's immigration record:

  • A photocopy of the applicant's passport listing official name, birth date, etc.
  • If the applicant is in the U.S., a photocopy of the visa and I-94 on which the applicant entered the country.

Please note: Government-sponsored students should send a letter from their government indicating support and billing information.

If there are any additional questions or concerns regarding the application process, please reach out to the Office of Recruitment and Admission at: