2023-2024 Academic Catalog

Change of Major

Any undergraduate student having completed one academic semester in good standing at the University of Dayton may initiate a request to change majors. Change of major could be done in the same academic unit or across different academic units. The student desiring to change his/her major can initiate this process by contacting their advisor and submitting a formal change of major application prior to registration.

To be considered for Change of Major, the student must meet the following criteria:

  • College of Arts & Sciences
    Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Some majors may have a higher GPA requirement.

* To be considered for Change of Major to the Predentistry or Premedicine major, the student must also complete the following courses and achieve a mean GPA of 3.0 or higher in them: CHM 123, CHM 123L, CHM 124, CHM 124L, BIO 151, BIO 151L, BIO 152, BIO 152L. The student must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of transitioning to the new major, as well.

  • School of Business Administration
    A current student who is already in the School of Business Administration (SBA) wanting to change from one major to another will fill out a Change of Major form and submit it to the John D. Mittelstaedt Center for Advising and Business Student Success located in Miriam Hall, room 053. Students who are not currently in the School of Business Administration (SBA) must meet specific high school or University of Dayton academic performance requirements designated by the SBA.  
  • School of Education and Health Sciences
    Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better. For those seeking teacher licensure, proof must be submitted of satisfactory standardized testing scores.
    • Department of Health & Sport Science: Candidates for admission to the Department of Health & Sport Science should contact the department and make an appointment to meet with an advisor:
      ​   Department of Health & Sport Science
         Fitz Hall 646
    • Department of Teacher Education: Candidates for admission to the Department of Teacher Education should contact the department and make an appointment to meet with Dr. Rochonda Nenonene, faculty advisor: 
         Department of Teacher Education
         Fitz Hall 680
  • School of Engineering
    A current Engineering student must schedule an appointment with the department chair of the proposed major to discuss the change of program. The associate dean will review the information and make the determination of the change.  A current UD student who intends to change majors from another academic unit to the School of Engineering must have met the minimum of the mathematics, physics and chemistry requirements, along with a minimum of 3.0 GPA to be considered for admission into the School of Engineering.

Units will review applications for change of major and make decisions in a timely fashion with communication to the student, the appropriate units and the Registrar. Please note: There are times when the student's desired change of major would not be recommended. This decision will be left to the judgment of the dean or his/her designated representative.

More complete information regarding Change of Major to the college or schools may be obtained in the respective dean's office.