2021-2022 Academic Catalog

Education Abroad

The Office of Education Abroad, located in the Center for International Programs (CIP), guides students pursuing an educational experience outside the United States. Whether the student wishes to attend a program through the University of Dayton or through another institution, our education abroad staff assists with the application process and prepares students through a pre-departure orientation. The education abroad staff also offers a re-entry program to students returning to the U.S. from select programs.

A variety of international education programs are available through the University of Dayton, including:

Summer and Winter Break Courses

Travel with UD faculty and students during winter or summer break. Because you can earn credits towards your degree, by participating in these programs you may be able to graduate early, add a minor or second major or have time to participate in a semester-long internship. Examples of these programs include:
Food, Research, and Sport in Chile
Professional and Technical Writing in China
Business and History in Spain
Engineering in Florence

Semester/Academic-Year Education Abroad

These programs take place during the fall or spring semester, and you enroll at a university abroad for the entire semester or the full academic year.

Students may also participate in an innovative program called SAIL (Semester Abroad and Intercultural Leadership).  SAIL is a year-long education abroad and leadership development program that entails a fall semester abroad at one of three study abroad sites in Ghana, Ireland or Spain, followed by participation in a one-credit semester-long intercultural leadership and re-entry program that includes special housing during the subsequent spring semester. The SAIL program is designed to allow students to study abroad for the same cost as a semester on campus. Students pay the same amount for their fall semester abroad as they would a semester at UD (tuition and housing). Most financial aid packages still apply. In addition, UD covers the international airfare for participants.

Integrated Learning Programs

Take a fall or spring semester course at UD. Travel abroad during break with your professor and classmates to apply what you've been learning. Examples of these programs include:
History of Spain in Spain
Advocacy Filmmaking in Costa Rica
Human Rights Practicum in Malawi
International Medical Experience in Panama or Mexico

Cross-Cultural Experiences


Through these programs, engage in cross-cultural learning and reflection during your winter, spring, or summer break. Examples of these programs include:
ETHOS Engineering BreakOut in Central America, where you’ll use your engineering skills to improve lives and make our environment more sustainable.
Center for Social Concern BreakOuts and Immersions in locations like Ecuador, Mexico, Belize, Puerto Rico or India, where you’ll work alongside students to put social justice into practice.

Other Opportunities

University of Dayton students can study abroad in many countries through study abroad organizations or overseas universities. They can also study for a semester at another Marianist university in the U.S. Program costs for these programs generally include tuition, room and board in the host country, international travel and personal expenses. Aid for non-University of Dayton sponsored programs is limited. Through these programs, University of Dayton students can study in places such as Argentina, Australia, Austria, China, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, the United Kingdom and many other countries.


Release Agreement and Travel Registration

All students participating in a university-sponsored international program must complete the Release and Agreement Form which releases the University from liability for claims including, but not limited to, injury, delay and damage while abroad. As part of this agreement, the student agrees to abide by the University's standards of behavior while in the host country or countries. Students are also required to complete the Student Health Information and Emergency Treatment Authorization Form which requests medical information and the Behavioral Contract which outlines the institution's expectations for behavior while abroad. Depending on the program, students may need to complete the Authorization Form in order to transfer academic credit earned as part of a study abroad program to the University of Dayton.

International SOS

The University of Dayton has contracted with International SOS (SOS) to provide worldwide medical, travel and security assistance and evacuation services for all faculty, staff and students participating in university-related international travel. Services include up-to-date reports on safety and security, health issues, medical referrals and vaccination requirements for individual countries. SOS offers UD travelers and their dependents travel, medical and security advice and services, and protects against a variety of difficulties that could arise while abroad. 

For additional information on iSOS, as well as health insurance abroad, see University International Travel Process.