Many people throughout the country have come to know the University of Dayton through the accomplishments of its intercollegiate athletic teams. The mission of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Dayton reflects the mission of the University. That mission is embodied in the following core purposes:
- To educate the total person by integrating the primary academic purposes with educational possibilities and opportunities for young people beyond the classroom;
- To teach the value of community and family through collaboration and teamwork;
- To instill the fundamentals of sportsmanship, adhering to the values of respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility;
- To teach the tools of achievement, including self-discipline, personal responsibility and the setting of high standards;
- To develop the individual talents of our student-athletes within the context of shared team goals;
- To enhance diversity and minority opportunity at the University of Dayton;
- To advance the University of Dayton locally, regionally and nationally through the more highly visible sports, particularly the men's basketball program.
There are seven men's intercollegiate sports:
- Cross Country
There are ten women's intercollegiate sports:
- Cross Country
- Indoor Track
- Outdoor Track
Cheerleading tryouts, open to all students, are held each year.
Any student, male or female, who plans to participate in a varsity sport, must be certified through the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse. Additionally, student-athletes are required to complete a physical examination and provide documentation of their medical history and current insurance coverage.
The University of Dayton and its Division of Athletics are committed to abiding by the rules of the NCAA, the Atlantic 10 Conference and other affiliated conferences. The volume and complexity of the NCAA rules prohibits addressing all the possible scenarios that may impact athletic eligibility. Therefore, you are encouraged to visit the Dayton Flyers website and NCAA website to access the various rules and policies which assist our University in continuing to operate with honor and dignity.
Contact the Compliance Staff if you should have any questions.
Athletics Division Compliance Office
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1230
Phone: (937) 229-4208
Fax: (937) 229-4969