Office of Learning Resources: Students with Disabilities
The Ryan C. Harris Learning Teaching Center's (LTC) Office of Learning Resources (OLR) focus is to provide an equitable opportunity to participate freely and actively in all areas of university life. Disability Services are targeted to all students with disabilities, chronic health, dietary or psychiatric conditions and students with temporary conditions that are impacting the university experience. OLR provides access to programs and services through academic and testing accommodations, parking and housing accommodations, individual consultations, on-going disability management, assistive technology and production of alternative format course materials.
For students with disabilities, OLR:
- Shares the responsibility for coordination of accommodations with the student, faculty and staff at the University.
- Encourages the development of self-advocacy and self-determination skills.
- Assists in the interactive process between students and faculty for determining and implementing reasonable accommodations.
- Ensures registered students with disabilities access to university programs and services through reasonable accommodations.
- Assists the university community in understanding the concept and the realities of disability, and in working to eliminate barriers that limit the opportunities for students with disabilities at the University.
- Assists the University in complying with the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Acts (ADAAA) of 2008.
OLR does not provide special, structured programs specifically for students with disabilities.
The Academic Accommodation Process
The LTC’s Office of Learning Resources (OLR) asks students who wish to make an official request for disability accommodations to contact OLR. It is the responsibility of the student to make their request for accommodations known in a timely manner.
Students may complete the Initial Accommodation Request form online or set up an appointment with our disability staff to address specific questions or concerns. The Initial Accommodation Request form is required before accommodations can be finalized.
During the appointment, we will discuss the barriers/difficulties the student anticipates, or is facing, and the kinds of accommodations that may be appropriate while attending classes and participating in community life at the University of Dayton. This may include academic, housing, dietary and parking needs. When applicable, a letter which outlines specific accommodations will be provided. This letter will be used by the student to aid in discussion of accommodations with their professors.
Students will request an accommodation letter each semester via the on-line process outlined on our website.
Please contact OLR for assistance.
Office: Roesch Library, Learning Teaching Center (Ground Floor), Room 023
Phone: (937) 229-2066
TTY: (937) 229-2059
Fax Number: (937) 229-3270
Mail: University of Dayton
Office of Learning Resources
Attn: Disability Services
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1302
For additional information, please visit our website.