2018-2019 Academic Catalog

Transfer Policies

Transfer of Credit Policy 

All transfer coursework completed by current UD students for UD credit must be approved in writing by the dean's office prior to registration for the course. At a minimum, the approval process will include a review of the institution, course descriptions and course syllabus. A vita of the professor and/or a copy of the textbook used in the course may also need to be reviewed. Consideration for credit will only be given to transfer courses with a grade of C- or better. Additionally, the College of Arts & Sciences will not award transfer credit hours for courses that aren’t equivalent to those offered at the University of Dayton, and the College of Arts & Sciences limits credit hours transferring into UD and counting toward the major to 12.

Courses taken in the U.S. must be completed at a regionally accredited institution. Courses taken in a foreign country must be completed at an institution recognized by the foreign country's minister/head of education. Official transcripts must be sent directly to UD from the university and must contain an official seal of the university's office of academic affairs. Other requirements may be necessary (i.e. School of Business courses need to be taken at an AACSB accredited institution) given the specific course in question.

No credit will be granted when a student fails to receive prior written approval from the dean's office or fails to provide official transcripts sent to UD directly from the approved university.

Internal Transfer Policy

Any undergraduate student having completed one academic semester in good standing at the University of Dayton may initiate a request for Internal Transfer. The student desiring to change his/her major can initiate this process by contacting their advisor and submitting a formal transfer application prior to registration.

To be considered for Internal Transfer the student must meet the following criteria:

  • College of Arts & Sciences
    Cumulative GPA:
    1.7 end of first term
    1.7 end of second term
    1.8 end of third term
    1.9 end of fourth term
    2.0 thereafter

* To be considered for internal transfer to the Predentistry or Premedicine major, the student must also complete the following courses and achieve a mean GPA of 3.0 or higher in them: CHM 123, CHM 123L, CHM 124, CHM 124L, BIO 151, BIO 151L, BIO 152, BIO 152L. The student must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of transfer, as well.

  • School of Business Administration
    Students must first attend an initial internal transfer meeting with an academic advisor in the School of Business Administration. Students may schedule this initial SBA internal transfer meeting in the Undergraduate Advising Office in Miriam Hall 108. Minimum requirements: cumulative GPA of 3.0 and successful completion of an appropriate UD Math course.  A grade of C in a UD calculus class,  a C+ or higher in MTH 116 or MTH 128, or a B- or higher in MTH 207 will qualify.  Math courses taken at another college or university will NOT be considered. 
  • School of Education and Health Sciences
    Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better. For those seeking teacher licensure, proof must be submitted of satisfactory standardized testing scores.
  • School of Engineering

    The student must schedule an appointment with the department chair of the proposed major to discuss the change of program.  The associate dean will review the information and make the determination of the change.  A student who intends to transfer to the School of Engineering must have met the minimum of the mathematics, physics and chemistry requirements, along with a minimum of 3.0 GPA to be considered for admission into the School of Engineering.

Units will review applications for transfer and make decisions in a timely fashion with communication to the student, the appropriate units and the Registrar. Please note: there are times when the student's desired transfer would not be recommended. This decision will be left to the judgment of the dean or his/her designated representative.

More complete information regarding Internal Transfer to the college or schools may be obtained in the respective dean's office.